2015 Curry County Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan
2021 NHMP Update
2022 Curry NHMP Full Plan Draft
In 2018, Curry County decided to partner with the Department of Land Conservation and Development (DLCD) in their application for FEMA grant assistance to assist the community with preparation of a Multi-Jurisdictional Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan (MJNHMP). The MJNHMP presents a strategy for reducing our communities' vulnerability to the impacts of natural hazard events such as earthquakes, flood, and wildfire. We've created this page to educate the community while providing information and resources to those who may have interest in the planning process.
What is the Hazard Mitigation?
- Hazard mitigation describes actions taken to help reduce or eliminate long-term risks caused by hazards or disasters, such as flooding, earthquakes, wildfires, landslides, or dam failure. As the costs of disasters continue to rise, governments and citizens must find ways to reduce hazard risks to our communities.
What is the Hazard Mitigation Plan?
- The Hazard Mitigation Plan is a framework that guides our community in making decisions and developing policies to reduce or eliminate risk to life and property. The plan identifies the types of hazards that threaten our community, evaluates our vulnerability to those threats, and outlines a strategy to reduce or eliminate the risk posed by those threats to break the cycle of repeated destruction by natural hazard events.
- Hazard mitigation planning is the process used by state, local and tribal leaders to understand risks from natural hazards and develop long-term strategies to reduce the impacts of disasters on people, property, and the environment.
- Public input is welcome! Please sign up for our email list by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about meetings and plan drafts available for public comment or to take our survey.
As part of the review and update process and to ensure a plan that meets the needs of the whole community, we need input from the citizens who live and/or work in CurryCounty. The survey asks the public’s opinion on topics such as identified hazards, personal impacts and personal preparedness.
Please print and complete the following survey. You may email it to email@example.com or mail it in.
- Curry County Community Survey